Let’s just write it down – i’ve told this and asked this so many times from the government – you’d think i could describe it in short order:
Here are the facts as I know them:
– for a citizen present within the united states with only transient, vacation-like excursions outside the country, their requirement is to be MEC-compliant for 9 out of 12 calendar months. If they fail to be MEC-compliant then they are on the hook for the Tax Penalty.
– for a citizen who is not present within the united states for 330 days or more out of the calendar year, there is no requirement to be MEC-compliant.
– for a citizen who returns from time abroad and intends to reside for the remainder of the MEC-compliance assessment time-period within the country may make use of a special enrollment window or process.
Great – these facts are nice, and I have known them from last year – in 7 months, hundreds of hours and at great personal cost, not one single person in the federal government, has been able to go beyond this: Specifically:
– if I am N% of the year in the country, and M% of the year outside of the country, then what is the quantity of time during the calendar year which I must be MEC compliant in order to avoid the Tax Penalty?
– if I am N% of the year in the country, and M% of the year outside of the country, and I am not MEC-compliant enough to avoid the Tax Penalty, is there some adjustment such as to the percentage of the Tax Penalty, perhaps some linear function based on N%?
– if I am N% of the year in the country, and M% of the year outside of the country, and my wife is A% of the year in the country, and B% of the year outside of the country, what are the conditions for determining our liability and total quantity for the tax penalty assuming an AGI which places us in a position to pay the capped amount, filing jointly, when we are fully covered by non MEC-compliant policies for the full year, and by separate MEC-compliant solutions for two portions of the year, X% and Y%. This should be a fixed dollar amount as a function of N, M, X, Y, A and B all ranging between 0 and 1.0. Please have the IRS provide a 6-dimensional hypercube representing the upper bound O(n) style function describing this surface.
instead, even at the level of the senators, we’re just stuck with “well, how long will you be out of the country next year?” and “if you’re gone all year you don’t have to worry” – totally ignorant childlike stupidity – and this from the people who wrote the law, my legislators. Fuck you congress, fuck you obama – just fuck you.